A Guide to Healthy Sandwich Meats
Sandwiches are a common and practical food choice. They are affordable, satisfying, and tasty. You can choose from a variety of fillings like vegetables, spreads, and meats. Read on to learn how to distinguish healthy sandwich meats in a food service smallgoods section.
Selecting Healthy Sandwich Meats
There is a big selection of cold cuts in supermarkets and delicatessens. You can buy them either pre-sliced or whole. The meat choices often include fresh or pre-packaged hams, sausages, roast beef, salami, chicken, turkey, bologna, and mortadella.
Buying your cold cuts from a deli has its advantages. You get to choose from a wider variety, and you can choose from products with lower fat content. Pre-packaged sandwich meats found in the supermarkets often contain more sodium, fat, and extra chemicals for preservation.
Cold cuts from delicatessens come in more flavours. They are also safer because other pre-sliced and pre-packaged meats from supermarkets and grocery stores may harbor bacteria called listeria. Parents of young children and pregnant women should take care to fully heat sandwich meats before consuming them.
Why You Should Choose Healthy Sandwich Meats
Sandwich meats, also known as luncheon meats or cold cuts, are precooked or cured meat products. Usually found in the form of sausages or meat loaves, these meats are sliced and usually served cold on closed and open-faced sandwiches or party platters. You can find these in a food service smallgoods aisle.
Your lunch’s nutritional value has a direct effect on your health and overall performance for the day. A balanced meal packed with protein can keep you going for much longer compared to an unhealthy, starch-filled lunch.
Unhealthy meats can have as much as 900 milligrams of sodium per serving, which is bad for your body, especially the heart. You put yourself at increased risk of diabetes and heart disease if you eat too much food with sodium and saturated fat.
Examples of Healthy Sandwich Meats
- Turkey-this poultry meat is a good choice because it is low in fat, has sufficient amounts of vitamin B, potassium, zinc, and folic acid. Turkey meat can lower blood cholesterol, protect you against cardiovascular disease and certain cancers, and can strengthen the immune system.
- Lean Pork -the white part of pork actually has health benefits when consumed in moderation. It is a rich source of both protein and iron. Eating small amounts of lean pork can help individuals who suffer from iron deficiency anaemia.
- Chicken-always considered one of the healthiest meats, chicken meat is low in fat and high in protein. It is a good choice for people who want to lose weight. Remove the skin before cooking to make your chicken sandwich healthier.
The Culinary Uses of Sandwich Meats
These cold cuts are the primary ingredient in a variety of sandwich types. Popular cold cuts like pepperoni, coppa, capicola, Liverwurst, pastrami, and salami are also mainstays for pizza, pasta dishes, salads, and appetizer platters.
You can always look for low-sodium versions of these meats to make your sandwich as healthy as possible. You can add vegetables and healthy dressings to increase its flavour and nutritional content.
For a wider selection of processed meats, visit sites like tibaldi.com.au.
Bruce loves to cook, eat, and serve meat products, especially veal and mutton.
Food & Cooking
Great Depression Cooking – The Poorman’s Meal
91 year old cook and great grandmother, Clara, recounts her childhood during the Great Depression as she prepares meals from the era. Learn how to make simple yet delicious dishes while listening to stories from the Depression. www.GreatDepressionCooking.com
cooking Video Rating: 4 / 5
cooking – click on the image below for more information.
List Price: $ 7.99
Price: $ 2.69
- Bench scrape shovel for collecting and transporting ingredients from the cutting board to a pot on the stovetop, or clearing away food debris
- Shovel face crafted in durable, nonporous stainless steel; soft taper at shovel’s edge for scooping ease
- Secure and comfy ribbed rubber covers shovel handle; safe for use in the dishwasher
- Measures 6-1/2 by 6-1/4 inches with a 1-1/5-inch high handle; weighs 8 ounces
- Dishwasher safe; limited lifetime warranty; made in China
The bench scrape makes scooping and transferring your chopped food in to the pot mess-free and in a snap.
Rachael Ray Tools Bench Scrape Shovel, Orange
Click on the button for more cooking information and reviews.
Category: Food & Cooking